The area around your eyes is the thinnest and most delicate skin of your face. That area, in particular, is filled with small blood vessels and due to many things like allergies, dehydration (which can also be caused by eating foods with a lot of salt which causes fluid retention), lack of sleep, smoking etc that can cause these vessels to burst which causes a dark shadow, a lowkey bruise-like kind of look. They’re totally harmless and not that hard to take care of.
Here’s some things (there’s a lot but here’s the most popular ones) that cause eyebags:
- Coffee Addiction
- A large alcohol intake
- Iron Deficiency
- Inadequate nutrition
- Loss of skin elasticity/Aging
- Sleeping with makeup on
- Kidney Problems
- Overworked Eye Muscles
- Dry eyes
- Excess rubbing
- Sinus Infection
- Hormone Imbalance
Here are some things you can do if you’re looking to reduce their appearance:
– Really use the weekend as a time for you to de-stress
– Catch up on your sleep during the weekend or whenever you don’t have work, school etc and make sure to set a bedtime routine for yourself, try to go to bed early and wake up early BECAUSE sleeping TOO MUCH CAN ALSO CAUSE EYE BAGS. Yup, there needs to be a balance in everything, don’t sleep too little or too much, just as much as you need to stay happy and fuel your body.
Here’s the needed sleep amount from the National Sleep Foundation for every age group and I highly suggest that you try to get AT LEAST the lower half of the recommended amount:
– Drink tons of water, that really helps detox your body and reduces the amount of salt and toxins out of your body. Also stay away from things that cause you to get dehydrated like caffeine, alcohol, things with a lot of sodium (like frozen foods, and just things with a lot of salt)
– Cold compresses are known to temporarily reduce bags. Place a cold compress under your eyes for 10-15 minutes before bed and 10-15 min after you wake up. Some good examples of cold compresses are:
- Refrigerated spoons
- Ice pack
- Tissue dipped in cold egg whites (mixed or not, your preference) [helps tighten skin]
- Cotton pads dipped in chilled milk
- Cold potatoes slices
- Cold cucumber slices
- Refrigerated tea bags
– Don’t over exfoliate and rub your eye area a lot and make sure that before bed you always clean your skin.
-Try facial exercises (there’s a ton of videos on youtube) to help strengthen your face muscles.
-Avoid sleeping on your back, gravity can cause your skin to sag so if you can, sleep on your back and if that’s hard for you, surround yourself with pillows.
-Use eye creams. Gently pat it on and it’ll help repair your skin.
-Make sure to always moisturize your face to help retain moisture and elasticity and wear sunscreen at all times when you go out.
– To reduce the APPEARANCE of under eye bags, use 2 concealers, use a concealer STICK that is one shade lighter than your skin tone then use your favorite cream or liquid concealer over it ♥
Hope these helped! Let me know if there’s any you already do below in the comments. Please let me know if you have any requests for future posts.