Since school season just started I felt like it would be a great time to post this. From teachers to friends, to work to everything, things can tend to get really stressful and unbearable at times and I’m here to help. Here are a few tips I have:
- Sleep, you’ll be rested and feel a lot better
- Rant to someone, I promise it’ll help
- Get a pet, they’re soothing
- Exercise or at least do yoga every other day because it has a unique capacity to exhilarate and relax, to provide stimulation and calm, to counter depression and dissipate stress
- GET A PLANNER. I cannot stress that enough. I promise your life will be so much easier. You can time block your life, write down deadlines etc.
- Make a list and check it off as you go along. You’ll get a sense of satisfaction and completion and you won’t be so overwhelmed
- Excercise. This is so so good for you mentally and physically, exercise helps reduce and helps release negative emotions such as anger, fear or worry and improves your mood because it releases endorphins, your brain’s feel-good neurotransmitters. It also relaxes your muscles that have been tightened because of stress.
- If someone gives you a job and you know you won’t be able to do it don’t agree just to be polite, apologize and tell them you can’t so they get someone who can. If you do say yes you’ll get overwhelmed and frustrated and the job won’t be done right
- Please, please, please try to get out of the habit of procrastination. Don’t save everything for Sunday night or like some people I know, Monday morning to do things/ last minute. Do small things at a time and you’ll be calmer.
- Cry. This might sound odd, but crying helps you because they contain a lot of stress hormones which are released when you cry.
- Smile. Even if it’s a fake smile, your body gives out endorphins and even if you’re not happy, your body will think you are and you’ll slowly become happier.
- Help others. Seeing the happiness in others creates this feeling in people that makes them calmer and happier.
- Stay away from other people. If you know you’re stressed, frustrated etc stay away from others because if you’re anything like me you’ll lash out or break down and do something you’ll end up regretting.
- Find something like an outlet to let all the anger and frustration go to like screaming, breaking things (try ripping paper etc), punching a pillow, chewing gum or ice etc. Just find something inanimate so you don’t lash out on someone.
- Take breaks. Whether it be in between when you are doing homework, studying, or just during the weekend. Go outside, breathe some fresh air, eat, walk around and then come back to whatever you were doing. If you do so your mind will be well rested and you’ll think better.
- Set a time for yourself every day to unwind and relax whether it be a bath or watching an episode of a show before bed, take care of your mind and body.
- If you’re doing something and you’re really frustrated for example a project etc. just stop. Sleep on it or come back to it in an hour or so, so that you’ll be calmer and have a fresher perspective when you see it the next time. This helps so your work won’t be sloppy and just thrown together.
Remember, if you can’t do something, it’s not the end of the world, you have second chances, extra credit and so much more and it will be ok.
Good luck guys and I hope this helps 🙂